Pilgrims: From July 1st, the St. James Way will be reactivated.
Pilgrim: You can make a pilgrimage. Today, July 1st, at the same time as the opening of the cathedral and the pilgrims’ office, the routes of the St. James Way will be officially reactivated. Although some “early” pilgrims have already started their journey in the last few days, today’s July 1st is the date of their arrival in Compostela.
Precautions for pilgrims against Covid-19.
Of course, we all remind us that one must act “wisely” and that the individual responsibility of each and every one of us is fundamental. All the institutions and companies that deal with travelers have prepared themselves over these months to welcome back the people who choose to visit us. Each of us must be responsible and follow basic recommendations to ensure that Covid-19 does not spread further:
- Maintain a safety distance of at least 1.5 meters.
- Wear a mask indoors and outdoors as long as you cannot guarantee a distance of 1.5 meters.
- Wash your hands regularly / or use disinfectants if necessary.
- If necessary, observe the information on pedestrian traffic in cities and institutions.
- Likewise, the Galician Health Service (Sergas) has activated the following number for the health service: 881 00 20 21
Although Santiago Cathedral is continuing the months of renovations for the holy year, Xacobeo 2021, it will finally reopen its doors to welcome visitors from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The pilgrim mass is celebrated at 12 noon in the chapel of the International Pilgrims’ Reception Center (Rúa Carretas 33) and at 7.30 pm in the cathedral (temporary altar on the west portal). The maximum capacity for visitors to the fair is less than usual.
The pilgrims office in Rúa Carretas will start again from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. with the issuing of the Compostela (pilgrimage certificate) The influx of pilgrims will increase in the first few weeks, but will be less crowded than in previous years. In any case, every precaution will be taken to gain access to the office and the valuable certificate.